The Memorial Museum was originally a one-story building, built in
1918 as a research institute for Hansen's disease.
At the beginning of the Showa period, a second story was added as
an apartment for Miss Wright. During wartime it was damaged
and after the war it was used as a management office for
the Riddell & Wright Old People's Home, a social welfare corporation
which succeeded an older building called Tatsuta Ryo.
The existing building was donated to Kumamoto City on
October 19,1994 by the above Home. Artifacts detailing the life and
work of these two corrageous women have been collected and put on
Kumamoto City opened the restored building on February 3, 1996
and renamed it the Riddell & Wright Memorial Museum.
It is a tribute to these two pioneers in dealing with the
realities of Hanses's disease and its victims.
The museum is run with the cooperation of the Ridell & Wright Exhibition.